Friday, June 11, 2010

Apricot-Lemon Chicken and Lemon Orzo

So I've cooked before. I've made fried rice for a crowd, prepared spaghetti pie with herb biscuits for my family, heated up some frozen food on the side. But because my mom was gone last week and she's normally the one to do all the cooking, I decided that I'd make a REAL meal for me, my dad, and my brother to take her place.

Well, real-er than what I've done before, I guess. The recipe I used called for chicken breasts but all I could find in our freezer were tenders made of breasts? Or something like that, anyway, I didn't feel like going out to buy more, so I just stuck with those and it was fine. Unfortunately I burned them a little and there didn't seem to be enough sauce, but now I know! I've actually cooked chicken on my own! Woohoo!

Apricot-Lemon Chicken
Recipe from Cooking Light

1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
Cooking spray
1/3 cup apricot spread (such as Polaner All Fruit)
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp water
2 tsp grated lemon rind

Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl; rub mixture over chicken.

Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Cook chicken 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan, and keep warm.

Add apricot spread, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons water to pan, stirring until smooth. Cook over medium heat 1 minute. Spoon sauce over chicken; sprinkle with lemon rind.


Lemon Orzo
Recipe from Cooking Light

Cooking spray
1/2 cup prechopped onion
1 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine (I used water)
1/4 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in pasta, broth, wine, and thyme; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and pasta is al dente. Stir in chopped chives and lemon juice. Keep warm.


1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry I missed this - it looks like it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete