Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Blueberry Crumb Bars

So I'm actually in New York right now. Or, technically, as I'm writing this I'm back home, but yay for being able to write posts early and schedule it to post on the right date...haha. Anyway, my mom asked me to make something for her to bring into work for a work party, and I couldn't choose one thing so I chose two. This is the first of them (both of them are bars). It was really convenient to make blueberry crumb bars, because after Father's Day I had a big costco-sized container almost full of the remaining blueberries that JUST made 4 cups, and nobody in my family would finish that much before having to leave so I just used them for this recipe.
So I used fresh blueberries and grated my butter with a cheese grater haha. These were very beautiful bars--and they were also really good! I definitely want to make these again!

Blueberry Crumb Bars
Recipe from Jamie

1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsalted butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
zest of two lemons

4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup white sugar
3 teaspoons cornstarch

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a 9×13 inch pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, salt, lemon zest and baking powder.

In a small bowl, whisk the egg and vanilla together until combined.

Use pastry cutter or your food processor (see not below for alternative method) to blend the flour mixture with the butter and egg/vanilla mixture. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan. In another bowl, stir together 1/2 sugar and cornstarch. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.

Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.

Note: If you do not have a pastry cutter or a food processor, simply freeze your butter and use a box grated to grate the butter into the flour mixture. Use two forks or your fingers to fully incorporate.




1 comment: