Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

Okay, here are the cookies Marrisa requested for her birthday! She really tried to avoid giving me any trouble. She knows I kind of (okay, more than just kind of) stress out every time I make people birthday cakes, so she told me to "just make peanut butter cookies like the ones in the dining hall". Now, I didn't know how to mimic the ones in the dining hall exactly. The peanut butter cookies in the dining hall can actually be pretty good. The only peanut butter cookies I've made before are the extremely simple ones with the criss-cross fork thing, I don't know, but super easy. The ones in the dining halls were like peanut butter versions of chocolate chip cookies, with peanut butter chips instead of chocolate chips...I don't know, all I know is that when I searched for peanut butter chip cookie recipes online, I only came up with one.

These are pretty good cookies. Not exactly like the ones in my dining hall, but they're better than any other peanut butter cookie I've baked before. I've never made a cookie that had powdered sugar over granulated sugar, and maybe that's why they had a smoother texture and sweeter taste. I pressed the cookies with my palms instead of using the criss-cross fork pattern like the recipe called for. Overall, a pretty easy cookie to make.

Double Peanut Butter Chip Cookies Yield 3 dozen (mine had over 4 dozen)
Adapted by Evil Shenanigans from The Joy of Cooking, 1997 edition

1/4 cup canola oil
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup smooth peanut butter (chunky also works)
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 bag Reese’s peanut butter chips (1 2/3 cups)

Heat your oven to 350 F and prepare to sheet pans with parchment.

In a mixer with the paddle attachment cream the oil, butter, peanut butter, powdered sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.


Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix until well incorporated.

In a medium bowl sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the peanut butter mixture and mix on low speed until most of the flour is incorporated.

Add the peanut butter chips and mix until well distributed. (You may want to do this step by hand.) Scoop onto the prepared baking sheet by the rounded tablespoon about two inches apart. Use a fork to flatten the cookie by pressing a criss-cross pattern on the top of the cookie.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown. Cool on the pan for three minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.



2 comments:

  1. I can taste these right now... I want them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very tasty...i might have to make these myself some time since i only got to eat 9 :(

    ReplyDelete