Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Dorie Greenspan's Devil's Food White-Out Cake

I'd been dying to try out this recipe for a while: the cake on the cover of Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours. I got the perfect opportunity for my friend David's birthday in early April.

This cake was dense and chocolaty with a very light frosting (which was coated with more cake crumbs). The frosting was hard for me to make, because it called for the use of a hand-mixer to whip the eggs...and since I didn't have a hand mixer, I had to beat the eggs by hand for a long time. Also, when I mixed the egg whites with the syrup mixture for the frosting, the frosting turned a light brown color which I was afraid wouldn't go away. It did, and I was left with that light frosting that made Lucy inform me she prefered this cake to her own. So I guess I'll be baking this cake again next year.

Instead of making a 3-layer cake with 8-inch round cake pans, I just made a 2-layer cake with the only cake pans I had, 9-inch. It turned out great, but I wish it was taller. It might have looked prettier. Anyway, I covered the whole thing with cake crumbs because I had a lot of extra, but the cake looked better when I didn't cover the top, since it was so short:


Overall this cake turned out great and was a big hit! It didn't last very long. You can find the recipe in Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours. I'll have some more recent baked goods to share by the end of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment