Saturday, August 28, 2010

Vanilla Yogurt Cake with Orange Glaze

I've been dying to make this recipe for so long, and finally got the opportunity for my mom's bookgroup retreat (which was actually a long time ago). I was also dying to try this, but unfortunately, the dog ate the rest that my mom brought home. Oh boy.

I altered the recipe from making two mini-loaves, to making one big loaf. I also made a mistake and added two extra tablespoons of orange juice to the batter instead of putting over the fresh-from-the-oven loaf, but apparently it was delicious, so maybe I'd do that again if I were to make this again (which I probably will, since I still really want to try it). For the original recipe, you can click the link.

Vanilla Yogurt Cake with Orange Glaze
Recipe adapted from Culinary Concoctions by Peabody

1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 cup granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean, seed scraped out, pod discarded
1 ½ TBSP vanilla extract
7 oz Greek Yogurt
½ cup vegetable oil
4 TBSP orange juice, divided

Spray an 8x4 loaf pan with baking spray. Or coat with butter and flour.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Using a stand mixer (or a large bowl and and electric hand mixer), beat together the egg, egg yolk, and sugar on medium-high speed, until it turns pale yellow, about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla beans, vanilla extract, and oil, beat another minute, until fully incorporated.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

With the mixer on low speed, add half the amount of dry ingredients. Then add half the amount of Greek yogurt, and 2 TBSP of the orange juice. Add remaining dry ingredients and followed by the remaining yogurt and the rest of the orange juice. Remove from mixer and finish mixing by hand using a spatula until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated.

Pour into prepared pan til it's 2/3 the way full and bake for 1 hr to 1:05 hrs.

Remove from oven. Using a toothpick or large wooden skewer poke holes into the cake.

Let cool for 5 minutes and remove from pan. Place on wire rack to finish cooling. When cool, glaze cakes.

Orange Glaze

1 cups sifted powdered sugar
3 TBSP orange juice

Combine the two ingredients together with a whisk. Pour over cake.











3 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds great, I think I'll have to make this soon : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been waiting for this recipe to be posted for a long, long time...it's the best loaf cake I have ever had and tastes like a rich pound cake even though it is made with healthier ingredients. I can't wait to try making this, although I'm pretty sure it won't be as good as yours (and I won't let Marco have a bite!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. :( hopefully marco enjoyed it at least...

    ReplyDelete