Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mom's Blueberry Muffins

When I got the recipe from my mom, she had written it for 6 big muffins instead of 12 small ones, so I got confused about the timing--her timing was for the 12 but she'd written for the 6, I don't know. So I could have baked mine for an extra 2 minutes, but they turned out fine and were done according to the toothpick test!

She's been making these muffins for a while. I didn't know where she got the recipe but just looked up some of the directions word-for-word and found the Betty Crocker original. They're really good straight from the oven, and they're very easy to whip together. You should probably thaw berries if you use frozen ones: I didn't and they were fine, but a little cold in comparison to the rest of the muffin.

Mom's Blueberry Muffins
Recipe adapted by my mom from Betty Crocker

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup milk (my mom and I use 1%)
1/4 cup salad oil
3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (thawed)

Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease muffin tins with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, using a fork, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.

In a small bowl, beat eggs slightly with a fork, then stir in milk and salad oil.

Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Add blueberries. Stir just until flour is moistened. Avoid overmixing--batter should be lumpy.

Spoon batter into muffin tins. My mom usually uses large 6-muffin tins, but you can also use 12 muffin tins.

Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes if using a 12-muffin tin, longer if for 6, until they are well-risen and golden and a toothpick inserted in center of one comes out clean and dry.

Immediately remove from pan onto wire rack to cool and serve.





1 comment:

  1. Good detective work - maybe Betty Crocker has a similar recipe, but mine came out of Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook (they might have adapted from BC). I think the larger muffins take the same amount of time - actually, I have it written down that it's something like 22 minutes. And frozen berries are what I generally use, not necessarily defrosted. Yours look really yummy and full of berries!

    ReplyDelete