Saturday, September 11, 2010

Dorie Greenspan's Tender Shortcakes

After the first day of classes, I made this dessert for my roommate and some friends. It was good and very easy to make. I made homemade whipped cream, and used frozen strawberries, though you can use any kind of fruit (and I think Dorie said to use fresh fruit). To use frozen fruit, just let it defrost completely. The juices just make it better. Add a lot of sugar and mix it with a wooden spoon to get it all together. Start with 1/4 or 1/2 a cup and add more to taste. I ended up adding a lot of sugar, haha, and my berries were still a little frozen, but they were great.

You can find the recipe here, or just buy Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours, like I did. You can use any kind of berries, really, but I used strawberries because frozen strawberries were cheapest when I bought them. Mine made 12 biscuits, some bigger than others, and I probably could have made at least one more. I didn't use them all though so the rest are probably getting stale right now...I might have tried freezing them, but I guess I was too lazy.

Mine baked for much less than Dorie said: the first batch was done in about 7 or 10 minutes and they were perfect, and the second batch took about 12 minutes to be perfect (they were a little bigger than the first batch). Also, my oven was being mean and only heated up to 400 degrees when I made them, sometimes getting as low as 350, but they still turned out fine. This was an easy and delicious recipe!








3 comments:

  1. Yummm I want this :) I've never thought about making shortcakes for some reason, but after seeing how good these look I want to give it a try now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even taking a picture of me wouldn't distract me from eating these...

    ReplyDelete