Sunday, April 24, 2011

Supermarket Sugar Cookies

I haven't had time to bake lately, so here are some cookies I made over a year ago. Which, by the way, were EXCELLENT, and the only reason I haven't made them since is because they are so delicious and packed with way too many calories. BUT they were really great, and not only great, but they taste SO. CLOSE. To those frosted sugar cookies you can find in supermarkets.
Supermarket Sugar Cookies
Recipe by Carrie

1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
4 1/2 - 5 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
Mix the shortening, sugar, sour cream, vanilla, and eggs together. Stir 4 1/2 cups flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder together in a separate bowl. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix. Now, the dough works best if cooled, so refrigerate the dough (in the bowl no need to cover the bowl) for 45 minutes. Generously flour your counter top and roll out the cookies. I had to flour the dough as well to keep it from sticking to my rolling pin. Cut the cookies, I used the rim of a drinking glass to cut my cookies. I was able to roll and cut 48 cookies total. Make sure you use non-stick foil or butter/flour your pan and bake them at 400 degrees until just barely light golden brown on the bottom, for me this was 9-10 minutes. After cookies have cooled you can frost and decorate.

Buttercream Frosting
2 pound bag powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
Food coloring, if desired

Beat all ingredients together until smooth. Generously frost the sugar cookies! Top with sprinkles for extra fun.

2 comments:

  1. I remember eating these, they were sooo good :):) I loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like these cookies from the supermarket, but yours were delicious!

    ReplyDelete