Sunday, April 3, 2011

Fresh Fruit Asian Sponge Cake

The week before spring break was one of my good friend's, Philip's, birthdays. He told me he liked ice cream cakes and I shot that idea down (because I couldn't make homemade ice cream so it wouldn't be challenging enough? I have noo idea why...) and then he said he also liked those Chinese Fruit Cakes that I also have experience with (I loved having them for my birthdays in high school). So I searched for a recipe. This recipe was reallllly good. I think I could have put more frosting in there because I was stingy but it made a LOT, and it would have been nicer if I could have gotten the layers a little thinner, but I didn't want to risk it. Also, if I could have gotten melon, it would have been better too. BUT it was really really delicious and turned out beautifully!





Fresh Fruit Cake
Recipe adapted from here

8 eggs
1 cup sugar, divided
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup flour + 1/8 cup cornstarch
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vinegar/lemon juice
1/2 cup milk
fresh fruits – strawberries, cantaloupe, kiwi fruit
1 cup whipping cream
3 tablespoons icing sugar

Preheat oven to 350F.

Sift the cake flour together with the baking powder twice to airate the flour.

Separate the egg yolk from the white and put in two different bowls.

In the bowl with the egg white, add the cream of tartar and vinegar and beat until thicken. Add 1/4 cup of sugar and beat further until the mixture shines.

In another bowl, beat the egg yolk with the remainder 1/4 cup of sugar until the sugar dissolve.

Add milk and vegetable oil into the egg yolk mixture and stir to mix well.

Gently fold in the cake flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture.

Gently fold in 1/3 of the egg yolk flour mixture into the egg white until blend. Repeat with the remainder of the egg yolk in 1/3 portions.

Pour the mixture into two greased 8″ circular cake pans. Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove the oven and invert the cake to cool. It is very important to let the cake to cool completely before frosting.

Cut the kiwi into thin slices.
Cut the strawberries into thin slices, reserving a few whole strawberries to decorate the center part.

Beat the whipping cream and the icing sugar together until thicken.

Spread the whipping cream on the surface of the bottom layer and top with strawberries slices (or your desired fruit).

Spread whipping cream on a second layer and place it on top of the first layer.

Decorate the top of the cake with more nicely cut slices of fruit. Place the cake in the refrigerator for at least half an hour before serving.

3 comments:

  1. I still have to make this cake - it looks authentically delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just looked through a lot of your blog and I've determined that you have out-exceeded your previous awesomeness level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG WANT WANTWANT WANTWANTWANT

    ReplyDelete