Sunday, April 17, 2011

Chocolate Cupcakes with AWESOME FROSTING

A few weeks ago was my friend David's birthday, but I was so busy with schoolwork that I didn't have time to bake him anything. So finally, a week belated, I had time to not only make him his favorite chocolate-something, but I got to make CUPCAKES which I've been dying to make in forever, and got to FINALLY TRY FLOUR FROSTING oh my god it was so good. You have to try it, and it's super easy. For the cupcakes I used the same recipe that I used for my chocolate cake with coconut frosting, found here. I think from now on, that's my go-to for chocolate cakes: it's always the perfect taste. However, the cupcakes tended to overflow and didn't poof very well, so make sure you're filling them only barely over halfway.







Amazing Flour Frosting
Recipe from The Pioneer Woman
Recipe found on The Girl who Ate Everything

5 tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 cup granulated white sugar (not powdered sugar)

In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk and heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens. It took me around 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn it. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. You can place the saucepan over ice in the sink for about 10 minutes or so until the mixture cools if you are in a hurry. Stir in vanilla. This mixture must be completely cooled in order for the frosting to work.

While the mixture is cooling, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Then add the cooled milk/flour/vanilla mixture and beat until it all combines and resembles whipped cream. Make sure you scrape down the sides every so often so that it all gets incorporated and whipped. If it's not looking like whipped cream, keep on whipping. This frosting is great for piping. Best served the same day.

No comments:

Post a Comment