Sunday, May 22, 2011

Rum Cream Pie 2

Ok, so for my friend Jimmy's birthday in late April, I was planning on making a Rum Cream Pie. Unfortunately, the unmarked package that I thought was unflavored gelatin was actually vanilla pudding, and I mixed it in the pie & did everything and it wasn't enough so I put another cup of whipped cream on top. Other changes are reflected below. Anyway, I had it frozen and then took it over and then it took long enough and then the pie melted and people put it in the freezer again and I thought they forgot about it. I was so embarrassed about the pie forever and then when at Steven's birthday party last week, one of my friends who lives with Jimmy reminded me about the pie and told me it was DELICOUS.

Wow, phew. I thought it was a huge crap on my reputation as a baker, because nobody ever mentioned it or thanked me and I didn't bring it up again. Good to know it was actually a success!

For this, I used the recipe for Rum Cream Pie in Molly Wizenberg's A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table that I also used here, but made a few changes. I used a store-bought crust (which was fine), used 1 1/4 teaspoons of vanilla pudding instead of unflavored gelatin, used another cup of heavy cream & some sugar & vanilla for whipped cream on top, and sprinkled mini semi-sweet chocolate chips on top instead of bittersweet. I froze the pie since the pudding didn't harden like gelatin.

1 comment:

  1. This pie is one my favorites and looks so pretty with the pistachio topping.

    ReplyDelete