Sunday, May 15, 2011

Moist Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake

Last year for my friend Steven's birthday, I made him a Chocolate Panda Cake with White Chocolate Frosting. This year, he wanted a reverse panda--more chocolate. Later, someone remarked that it was just a bear. Whatever, I tried!! It wasn't as cute as it could have been but it was still pretty cute. And good! I actually found a mayonnaise cake recipe for this one and didn't tell anyone and people still liked it...I had leftover mayo that I wanted to use up, haha. Most people loved it, though one person thought the texture was like bread. It was just dense but also moist! And the frosting I chose was the perfect sweetness. I chose the frosting I made for Jimmy's birthday cake last year, found here. I used store-bought icing for the white cuz I was lazy. I sprinkled some mini chocolate chips on the frosting between the layers.



Moist Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
Recipe found here

2 cups flour
2/3 cup cocoa
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 eggs
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup mayonnaise
1 1/3 cups water

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Grease and flour 2 – 9″ round cake pans.

Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder.

Mix well and set aside.

Beat together eggs, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl for 3 minutes, using the high speed of an electric mixer. Mixture should be smooth and creamy. Reduce speed to low and beat in mayonnaise until blended.

Add flour mixture in batches, alternating with water, in 4 equal additions (1/4 of the flour, then 1/4 of the water etc). Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the center of the cake springs back when lightly touched or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake is clean when removed.

Cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from the pans and allow to cool completely before frosting with your favorite frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment