Thursday, April 5, 2012

Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Scones

Just realized I forgot to top my scones with sugar--oops, but they were sweet enough without it. It probably didn't need the egg coating either. I've been so busy lately! I haven't really got a chance to bake at all, and 3 weeks ago I promised my friend Philip that I'd bake him something for his birthday...and still haven't. I made these because hey, breakfast is easy to make and eat. I wanted to make some other breakfasty bread but I have no food and the only special food this required was chocolate chips, which I could easily buy. I substituted milk and a pinch of vinegar for the buttermilk and there didn't seem to be a difference.

These were perfect warm, but I'm not sure if I'd make them again because the next day they weren't as good. They were soft and crumbly the day-of though, so if you're planning on serving to a group, these were super easy!

Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Scones
Yield 8 scones
Recipe from evilshenanigans

2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces and kept very cold
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup cold buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg, well beaten
Sugar for topping

Heat the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Add the cold butter and rub it in with your fingers until the butter is in small pieces, no larger than peas. Add the chocolate chips and mix well.

Pour in the cold buttermilk and vanilla and mix until the liquid is absorbed. The dough will look very dry and shaggy.

Turn out onto a cutting board and knead the dough three times by pressing the dough into a fat disk, folding the dough in half, turning it 1/4 turn and repeating. Do not over knead.

Once kneaded press into an 8″ circle and cut the disk into 8 wedges. Places the wedges on the prepared baking sheet and brush with beaten egg. Top each scone with as much sugar as you like.

Bake the scones for 15 – 18 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Cool ten minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment