Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Marshmallow Fondant

Yup, fondant from scratch. I don't know what came over me. I mean, as someone who loves to bake, I guess I always had it on my list of things I wanted to try out...but after making this all I could think was, "NEVER again!!!!!" which is hopefully a lie. It was very hard, especially in 80 or 90 degree weather. Probably not a very good idea for that. Anyway, I did it! I think what really inspired me to actually go ahead and try making fondant was because I was watching Cake Boss...actually inspired the whole cake, which I'll post the rest of on Saturday.

I'd never even tried fondant before, but I heard it wasn't very good from some, and that it deserved more of a chance from others. Again, Cake Boss inspired me to really try it out, since he uses it on so many of his cakes. So I figured if he was so successful, it couldn't taste that bad!

I based most of how I made the fondant from Bake at 350, so here's her recipe:

Marshmallow Fondant
Recipe from Bake at 350

16 oz. bag mini marshmallows
3 TBSP water
2 lbs. powdered sugar
Crisco

Grease a large glass bowl with Crisco.

Pour in the marshmallows and water in the bowl. Microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until melted.

Reserve about 1/4 c. powdered sugar. Place the rest of the powdered sugar in the large bowl of a standing mixer. Grease the paddle attachment with Crisco. Pour the melted marshmallows onto the powdered sugar.

Beat until a dough forms. There will be lots of loose bits and sugar in the bottom of the bowl.

Grease a clean work surface with Crisco and dump out the fondant and all loose bits. Grease hands liberally with Crisco and knead the mixture together, just like kneading bread, for about 5 minutes until smooth.

Grease hands again as needed. As the fondant becomes smoother, use the reserved powdered sugar to coat the surface to keep it from sticking.

Once smooth, you can divide and color the fondant. While working with one piece, cover the remaining fondant with plastic wrap to keep it from drying out.

When you have your colors finished, or just keep it all white, coat the fondant in a light layer of Crisco. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in a large baggie. (One recipe said to let it rest 10 minutes, another overnight. I let mine rest overnight.) Store at room temperature for several months.

To use it, dust the surface and rolling pin with cornstarch and roll to 1/8th of an inch.








2 comments:

  1. sounds complicated...especially for me.
    several months? :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. That just means it CAN be stored for several months :P

    ReplyDelete