Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Turkey-Spinach Lasagna

Look look look!!! Remember when I asked for recommendations on what to make? I got a couple of suggestions and actually made one! Thanks Rosy for suggesting lasagna--I was a little iffy on this one at first, to tell you the truth, because I've never been a big fan of lasagna. I don't eat beef and I've only really been around lasagna that has beef, so I didn't know if I should try to make it...but I did! Turkey-Spinach! And it was SO GOOD. It was time consuming but other than that, very very easy. And my mom was happy to have someone else cook dinner. I made this alongside some failed Oatmeal Dinner Rolls that I'll post next week, and a salad.

I wasn't sure if I should cook the noodles before, and the only lasagna noodles I had at home were no-boil ones, so I didn't know what to do, since the recipe calls for cooked lasagna. But I just stuck the uncooked noodles in and it was fine! Thanks again for the suggestion, Rosy!

Turkey-Spinach Lasagna
Recipe from Cooking Light

Cooking spray
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 (26-ounce) jars low-fat marinara sauce
1 (16-ounce) carton fat-free cottage cheese
1/4 cup egg substitute
1/4 cup (1 ounce) preshredded fresh Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
8 cooked lasagna noodles
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350°.

Coat a large skillet with cooking spray, and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add turkey, onion, and garlic; cook until meat is browned, stirring to crumble. Add 5 3/4 cups marinara sauce; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.

Combine cottage cheese, egg substitute, Parmesan, parsley, pepper, and spinach; stir well.

Spread remaining marinara sauce in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 noodles over marinara; top with cottage cheese mixture and half of the mozzarella. Spoon half of the turkey mixture over the mozzarella. Arrange the remaining noodles over turkey mixture. Top with remaining turkey mixture and mozzarella.

Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until cheese melts and sauce is bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.













3 comments:

  1. OMG THAT LOOKS SO GOOD HOLY CRAPPERS

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that does look good...obviously

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was delicious - you can cook dinner for me anytime!

    ReplyDelete