Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Cajun Fries with Guacamole

I served these alongside the meatball subs I posted last week. They were alright but not as crispy as I thought they'd be--and I definitely made them spicy so I'm glad there was guacamole to cool them down! This was the first guacamole recipe I've tried. It was pretty good, but I think I like my mom's recipe better so will probably have to ask her for it if I'm going to make guacamole again. I want to try making Cajun fries again but I'll have to figure out how to make them crispier! It may be that I boiled them a little longer than they were supposed to be boiled for.


Cajun Fries
Recipe adapted from Sneaky Lemon
Cajun Spice Mix from AllRecipes

3-4 large potatoes
salt and pepper

Cajun Spice mix:
2 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic powder
2 1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

Cut potatoes into sticks about 1/2cm thick and boil for 2-3 minutes.

Drain the water off the potatoes and add a knob of butter, cajun spice mix, salt and pepper to the pan with the potatoes and toss till well coated.

Pop them out onto an oven tray and bake on 375F for approx 25 minutes or until golden brown (tossing every 10 minutes).

When they are done sprinkle liberally with salt and serve.

Guacamole
Recipe from the Food Network


3 Haas avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
1 lime, juiced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 clove garlic, minced

In a large bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice, toss to coat. Drain, and reserve the lime juice, after all of the avocados have been coated. Using a potato masher add the salt, cumin, and cayenne and mash. Then, fold in the onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment